Kenyan cuisine is full of flavors, colors, and textures, and the classic chicken stew is one of the most beloved dishes of the country.
Rich in spices, this hearty dish is perfect for cold winter nights and can be enjoyed with a variety of side dishes.
If you’re looking for an easy way to make an authentic Kenyan chicken stew, then you’ve come to the right place!
In this guide, we’ll show you how to cook a delicious chicken stew that will bring the flavors of Kenya alive in your kitchen.
How To Cook Chicken Stew in Kenya
- 1/2 kg kg chicken sliced into pieces
- 1 bunch bunch of fresh coriander
- 2 large large ripe tomatoes(chopped)
- 1 ginger(grated)
- 3 gloves of garlic (grated)
- 1 large large onion(chopped)
- 1 green pepper(chopped)
- 2 royco beef cubes
- Salt to taste
- 2 spoonful of cooking oil
- Chicken masala (optional)
- Place the chicken pieces into a large sufuria/saucepan and add alittle water and some salt.
- Place the mixture on medium heat and cover.Let it cook for 40 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Drain off the excess broth from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onions and oil to the chicken and stir until the onions begin to turn golden brown.
- Add garlic and stir for 2 minutes then add ginger and green pepper and mix well for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and continue mixing in between until they are tender and fully cooked.
- Add royco cubes and chicken masala and stir for two minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth you had placed aside and mix.Cover and let simmer for three minutes.Remove from heat,add coriander and cover for a minute before serving.
Find more recipes here.