Kitchen makeovers and renovations in Kenya are becoming increasingly popular in Kenyan homes as lifestyles modernize across the country. The traditional Kenyan kitchen, often separated from the main house, is being transformed into a modern, open plan cooking and dining space integrated with the rest of the home.
With rising incomes and exposure to global design trends, Kenyan homeowners are looking to upgrade cramped, outdated kitchens into inviting spaces to cook, dine and entertain.
From sleek built-in cabinetry to modern appliances, there is great potential to customize the hub of your home.
This blog post will overview creative and affordable ideas to fully transform your kitchen. We’ll cover:
- Painting and wall finishes
- Cabinets and countertops
- Storage solutions
|Painting||Popular paint colors and textures|
|Flooring||Tile, stone and wood options|
|Cabinets & Countertops||Custom vs modular options|
|Appliances||Stoves, fridges, dishwashers|
|Lighting||Natural vs overhead options|
|Storage||Built-in cabinets, racks, baskets|
Whether you’re looking for a minor refresh or a full remodel, there are many innovative ways to customize your kitchen on a budget.
Read on for ideas to create a beautiful, efficient kitchen that matches your lifestyle and design aesthetic.
Painting and Repainting Walls
Painting or repainting your kitchen walls is one of the simplest and most affordable ways to instantly update the look and feel of your space. When choosing paint colors and finishes, consider the following:
- Neutral tones like off-white, beige, or light grey work well for the main kitchen walls, as they create a clean backdrop that allows the cabinetry, counters, and decor to pop. Popular neutral paint colors in Kenya include:
- Diamond White
- Shell White
- Cloudy Gray
- Soft Gray
- Light French Gray
- Accent walls in bolder hues can add visual interest to the kitchen. Deep oranges, greens, blues and reds have been trending for accent walls. Just keep the bright color to 1 wall to avoid overwhelming the space.
- Textured paint finishes like eggshell and matte add subtle depth and dimension to walls, while glossy finishes are bolder and reflective. Consider your lighting when choosing a finish.
- Moisture-resistant paint is crucial for kitchen walls, as steam, grease, and splatters are common. Use satin, semi-gloss or high-gloss finishes to allow for easy wiping and cleaning.
- Antimicrobial paints containing agents to inhibit mold and bacteria growth are also popular options for kitchens.
- When repainting kitchen walls, proper prep is vital – fill cracks, smooth imperfections, sand glossy surfaces, and prime before painting for best results.
Paints like Diamond Platinum+ from Crown Paints or Armourcoat from BASF provide moisture-resistant antimicrobial finishes perfect for kitchen walls.
The right kitchen flooring upgrades the room’s appearance while also being durable and practical. Good options in Kenya include:
- Tile – Ceramic, porcelain, or natural stone tiles are affordable, easy to clean, and come in endless colors, shapes, and styles. Use caution with slippery glazed tiles. Options like stone or textured porcelain tiles add traction.
- Concrete – Stained, polished, or painted concrete floors offer an industrial modern look. The downside is concrete can crack over time. Using a concrete overlay on an existing floor is often a more cost-effective option.
- Wood – Hardwoods like oak, maple, mahogany add warmth and value. Use well-sealed engineered hardwoods or laminate wood to better withstand moisture.
- Vinyl – Vinyl plank flooring resists water, stains, and wear-and-tear and is easy to install and maintain. Luxury vinyl replicates the look of real wood or stone. Sheet vinyl is another affordable option.
- Linoleum – Made from renewable materials like linseed oil and cork dust, linoleum has natural antibacterial properties, making it a good choice for kitchens. It’s scratch and stain-resistant.
For safety, use anti-slip mats or rugs by the sink and prep areas. Transitions between flooring types should be seamless to prevent tripping hazards.
Cabinets and Countertops
The cabinets and countertops form the foundation of your kitchen’s storage and workspace. Carefully weigh options like:
- Custom cabinets allow you to customize the size, layout, materials, and features. While pricier, made-to-order cabinets maximize usable space. Go for moisture-resistant substrate and finishes.
- Modular cabinet systems like IKEA are more budget-friendly and offer variety. If going for off-the-shelf cabinets, meticulously plan measurements to prevent issues.
- Mix and match – you can save by using modular cabinets for some parts of the kitchen and custom-built for trickier layouts.
- Open shelving is great for frequently used items you want visible and accessible. Just avoid open shelves for messy tasks like cooking.
- Glass cabinet doors create an airier, upscale look with illuminated interiors. Use tempered glass and quality hinges.
- Laminate is affordable, comes in many colors, and resists scratches, heat and stains. The downside is moisture damage over time. Use marine laminate for water resistance.
- Tile is classic, durable, and cost-effective. The grout requires sealing. Opt for tiles with texture for setting down hot items from the stove or oven.
- Stainless steel provides a modern, commercial kitchen look that is easy to disinfect. Avoid using as a cutting surface as knives will damage the surface.
- Concrete needs frequent resealing but creates an industrial chic look. Use in non-prep areas and pair with a wooden chopping surface.
- Granite is heat and scratch-resistant while adding value. While durable, granite can chip or stain. Annual resealing is recommended.
Upgrading appliances not only modernizes a kitchen’s look but also improves functionality. Consider:
- Refrigerators: Stainless steel French-door fridges with bottom freezers are trending. Optimize storage with adjustable shelves, crisis drawers, and water dispensers. Look for energy efficiency ratings when selecting.
- Cooktops & Ovens: Gas cooktops are preferred by many home chefs, but induction cooktops are more energy-efficient. Wall ovens provide a built-in look. Combine a standard oven with a convection oven for optimal function.
- Venting: Under-cabinet range hoods have a sleek, built-in look while powerful chimney hoods effectively remove odors, smoke, grease from cooking. An exterior ducted range hood is ideal.
- Dishwashers: Look for models with adjustable racks, high water efficiency ratings, and low noise output. Handwash plastics and delicate items not dishwasher safe.
- Small Appliances: Upgrade your toaster, blender, mixer, coffee maker, etc. for uniform finishes and optimal counter space use.
Shop around for good deals and warranties when purchasing new kitchen appliances. Be sure to measure carefully to ensure appliances fit well in their designated spaces.
Proper lighting transforms a kitchen from drab to bright and inviting:
- Ambient ceiling lights should provide general illumination for the full kitchen. LED recessed can lights are a popular modern option.
- Task lighting like under-cabinet lighting directly illuminates the main work areas and sink. Go for LED strip lighting.
- Pendant lights over islands or dining areas add both lighting and style. Use directional pendents to focus light downwards.
- Natural light makes any space feel more open and airy. Maximize windows, skylights, and glass cabinet doors. Sheer curtains diffuse sunlight.
- Install dimmers to adjust lighting levels based on tasks and ambience desired throughout the day and evening. Lighting design should minimize shadows and glare.
Maximize kitchen storage and organization through:
- Cabinets – Use every inch of cabinetry. Install specialty pull-out shelves, rotating corner units and vertical drawer organizers.
- Shelving – Wall-mounted shelves and floating shelves provide space for appliances, cookware and display items. Just avoid clutter.
- Racks – Wall-mounted racks for spices, utensils, pots and pans optimize vertical storage space.
- Pantry – Make the most of pantry storage with pull-out drawers, tiered shelves, and custom organizers.
- Hooks – Use hooks on walls, cabinets and islands for hanging utensils, towels and pots. Horizontal pot racks free up cabinet space.
- Baskets – Woven baskets are great for storing vegetables and fruit. Mount hanging baskets or pot racks from ceilings.
- Cabinet dividers keep contents organized and easily accessible. Customize drawers and cabinets with cutlery dividers, pan organizers, etc.
Creative kitchen storage solutions in Kenya help maximize usable space in your cooking area and maintain an ordered, clutter-free appearance. Analyze how you use your kitchen and access items to create the optimal layout.
Concluding Your Kitchen Makeover in Kenya
After reviewing various options for upgrading your kitchen, you likely have inspiration and ideas for the transformation you would like to undertake. Here are some final tips to help you put together your renovation plan and budget and bring your ideal kitchen to life:
- Make a mood board or Pinterest page to collect images, materials, colors and styles you are drawn to. This helps align your vision.
- Measure your space carefully and map out a floorplan to understand spatial constraints and possibilities.
- Set your budget and determine must-have upgrades versus nice-to-have additions. Being realistic is key.
- Hire professionals for complex installations like electrical, plumbing and cabinetry to get it right. You can save on labor by doing paint, demo or minor upgrades yourself.
- Draw up a timeline mapping out the order of renovations and how long each will take. Build in cushions for potential delays.
- Upcycle existing items like cabinets, lighting, hardware and appliances to save money if still in good condition.
- Stage renovations if needed to spread out costs. Priority items like flooring and painting make the most impact.
|Phase||Upgrades||Estimated Costs||Completed By|
|1||Flooring, Painting, Lighting||KES 200,000||August 2023|
|2||Countertops, Backsplash||KES 150,000||December 2023|
|3||New Appliances||KES 300,000||February 2024|
- Shop sales and secondhand for fixtures, hardware and decorative items to maximize your budget on big-ticket items.
With proper planning and budgeting, you can execute a kitchen makeover uniquely tailored to your needs and style. Transforming this important living space will provide enjoyment and added home value for years to come.
We hope this guide provided useful tips and inspiration to start mapping out your exciting kitchen remodel in Kenya.